Ravello

autore: admin | data: 22 December 2011 | Tag:

Among the most enchanting resorts in Amalfi Coast, Ravello has been a longed-for destination since the times of the Grand Tour.
A holiday place preferred by important personalities of the world of art as of last and present centuries, Ravello is well-known for its enchanting villas and its suggestive religious architecture.

Founded in the 5th century as a shelter to the Barbarians’ attacks, Ravello reached its highest splendour around the 9th century. By the 19th century it was rediscovered by intellectuals and artists who chose it as a place where to spend their productive periods.

Ravello is an Italian town with 2,842 inhabitants in the District of Salerno in Campania, in Amalfi Coast.

A famous tourist centre, found out and frequented by numerous personalities. Nearly the half of its visitors are English and American, drawn by its intellectual calling and by the charm of its well-known villas (such as Villa Cimbrone with its famous view by the Terrace of Infinito).

Ravello was founded in the 5th century as a shelter against the Barbarians’ raids which marked the end of the Western Roman Empire. The town increased its population, while flourishing in the art of wool and in the trade towards the Mediterranean and Byzantium and reached its highest splendour from the 9th century on, under the Maritime Republic of Amalfi and the Principality of Salerno.

According to the will of the Norman Ruggero, the son of Roberto Guiscard, Ravello became a Bishop’s seat in 1806 to put an end to the too powerful Amalfi.At the beginning of the 12th century, the town reached a population of over 25,000 inhabitants. In 1135 it managed to withstand the attacks by people from Pisa against the Dukedom of Amalfi, but tow years later, in 1137, it was forced to succumb, was sacked and destroyed.

After these devastations, its economical and demographical declines started: from the 14th century on many of its inhabitants moved to Naples and to its surroundings, causing its decadence lasted till the end of the 18th century.

From the 19th century on, rediscovered by intellectuals and artists, it regained its importance as a place of culturally elite tourism.


0 commento disponibile


Leave a Reply