You can visit numerous religious building in Sorrento’s surroundings. These churches are rich in history, tradition and valuable art elements. They offer a journey through the history, the art and the culture of this enchanting part of Italy.
S. Attanasio Church in Priora
Priora is a hamlet on the Sorrento’s hills. Here it is possible to admire the S. Attanasio church which was probably erected in the V century to honour the saint bishop Attanasio. The religious building has two naves. The main nave has a coffered ceiling made of cloth. The other nave has a barrel vault and ends with a dome-shaped quadrilateral which keep an altar. On this altar there is a Virgin Mary 18th century painting. Under the main nave there are two altars and a 19th century memorial tablet which was ordered after the restoration works. The main altar is dedicated to Santa Maria delle Grazie and is adorned with a painting (1776) by De Piscopo and a bust of S.Attanasio.
The church also keep priests tombs under the main altar an children tombs near the main entrance.
La Purità Church in Capo di Sorrento
La Purità church is dedicated to the Vergin and is situated in Li Simoni area at Capo di Sorrento.
The chapel – which was in decay – was restored thanks to Monsignor Giustiniani. It has a single nave with barrel vault, a very damaged wooden altar and a painting of the Lady.
S. Maria di Costantinopoli Church
The Santa Maria di Costantinopoli Chapel was built in 1600 and is situated at Capo di Sorrento. The church has only a single nave with a dome-shaped presbytery and square plan. The dome is supported by a tiburio which has three rectangular windows.
The chapel has only an altar in polychrome marble which was probably built in the late 18th century. Behind the altar there is the Lady Mary of Costantinopoli with the Child among angels and souls of Purgatory by Carlo Amalfi. The little church also offers its visitors two important 18th paintings: San Joseph with Jesus and Sant’Ignazio di Loyola.